FAQ about Reporting

What is the difference between reporting and making a Formal Complaint?

A report does not automatically start a formal grievance or conduct process.

When a report is shared with the OICRC it does not start a formal process. It simply starts our outreach protocols to attempt to connect with the student or employee and provide support. As part of this, the OICRC will gather what information is available in order to assess whether there are any risks present to the affected student, employee or to the larger community in general. In limited circumstances, depending on the information the University receives, we may have to initiate some type of investigation or intervention even without an individual’s participation or against their wishes. However, this happens in rare circumstances when there is a greater risk to that individual’s or campus’ safety

A report does not automatically mean emergency actions will be taken.

Upon receipt of a report of alleged discrimination and harassment conduct violations by a student, the Title IX Coordinator consults with the Director of Student Conduct and they may requests assistance from a small group of qualified campus community members, who determine whether emergency action procedures should be implemented. These conversations are generally de-identified to protect the privacy of the individuals. Emergency action procedures may include but are not limited to emergency temporary suspensions, restrictions on a student’s presence on campus or at activities, or registration or other academic holds. Emergency actions are generally taken only in a small percentage of the reports that are shared with the university, and the reporting student is consulted with about the proposed course of action and kept informed regarding any actions taken.

What is the difference between reporting and talking to a Confidential resource?

The primary difference between making a report to the university and talking to a Confidential Resource is that when the University becomes aware (by reporting) of an incident of prohibited discrimination and harassment, sexual harassment, or sexual violence, Title IX and other laws obligate the university to address and resolve the incident in some fashion. 

Reporting to designated reporters such as the Dean of Students, Office of Investigations and Civil Rights Compliance, or the University Police Department, are equivalent to reporting directly to the Title IX Coordinator.

If you disclose to a confidential resource, they are not obligated to share the information with the university, and therefore the university will not be aware and will not be able to intervene in the situation or otherwise address the behaviors.

What happens when the University receives a report?

When information is received about a student experience, the OICRC/Title IX Coordinator will ask a confidential staff from the Care and Advocacy Program to reach out to students.

Students: Once information is shared with the OICRC/Title IX Coordinator about incidents involving students, they will ask a confidential staff to reach out to offer information, support, and resources. Students can choose to respond to this outreach or not. Students can choose to accept support and resources or not. Our interest is in making all of these services and options available to the student and then allowing the student to make decisions as to what feels appropriate for them at that time.

Employees: When information is shared about an employee, the OICRC office will reach out to the employee to share information about resources and offer an opportunity to come in a discuss options for supporting the employee and gathering further information. While the OICRC has less discretion in the employment context, we still strive to defer to disclosing individuals’ wishes as much as possible consistent with our legal obligations.

If I make a report, will my name and other personal information be kept confidential?

Making a report means that you are making the university aware of an incident of prohibited discrimination and harassment, sexual harassment, or sexual violence. The university is therefore obligated to promptly assess the incident to determine how to appropriately address or resolve the issue.

However, that does not always mean a formal conduct or grievance process. You can call a confidential resource to talk about your many options, and ask questions about how information is shared when necessary. You can also review our notice of privacy here.

Confidential staff are always available to discuss your reporting options. Learn more on the What is a Confidential Resource page.

What happens if I report to a Deputy Title IX Coordinator?

Reporting to a Deputy Title IX Coordinator is equivalent to reporting directly to the Title IX Coordinator and is a report to the university. Deputy Title IX Coordinators can assist you with interim measures and other support that may be appropriate, and can also help you connect with other resources on and off campus.

I know someone who experienced gender discrimination, sexual assault, or sexual violence. What should I do?

Confidential resources are available 24-7 to offer you information and help you understand reporting options and ways to support the individual. Call 541-346-SAFE or learn more on the What is a Confidential Resource page.

What happens if I disclose to a Student-Directed employee?

A Student-Directed Employee (SDE) is not required to report what you share with them to the Title IX Coordinator, but they will make a report if you ask them to. Their main focus is to provide you support and connect you to resources.

They may need to share information with other university staff if they have reason to believe that a student is at high risk for harm. They may also have to share information if a minor is being abused or a court order is presented.

They are expected to consult with Care and Advocacy Program staff to be sure they have provided you the most current and accurate information, but they will not share your name or any other identifying information about you. They will not share your information with other third parties such as your parents. See the Student-Directed Employee Responsibilities page more information about Student-Directed Employees.

The SDE is required to ask you if you are interested in making an official report to the University. If you are, then the SDE will assist you in sharing information with the Title IX Coordinator (or other office if not a sex or gender related issue).

If I share information with a professor or graduate employee, do they have to report the incident to the university?

Probably not. Most faculty and graduate employees are Student Directed Employees. That means that they need to help you file a report if that is what you wish to do. If you do not wish to make a report, they need to consult with a confidential resource in the Dean of Students Office to make sure they are connecting you with support and accurate information. You can look at a list of Designated Reporters.

What happens if I disclose information to a Designated Reporter?

A Designated Reporter is required to make a report to the Title IX office when they are made aware of any sexual harassment, sex and gender-based stalking, sex and gender-based harassment and bullying, dating violence, and/or domestic violence. See the Designated Reporter Responsibilities page for more information about designated reporters.

  • The Designated Reporter should inform you of their status and offer support and resources.
  • The Designated Reporter will need to report the incident to the Title IX Coordinator and share the information that you have disclosed.
  • The Designated Reporter is not an investigator, nor does this mean a formal process begins. This means that the Title IX Coordinator will have a confidential employee from the Care and Advocacy Program reach out to you to talk with you further about options and resources.

What are Designated Reporters required to do with my information?

Designated Reporters are required to report any information they receive regarding sexual harassment or sexual violence to the Title IX Coordinator, this includes identifying information. The Title IX Coordinator will then connect with the student in order to ascertain the student's wishes and follow them when possible and in order connect the student with resources.

The Designated Reporter must also share information relating to all other forms of prohibited discrimination or harassment with the Office of Investigations and Civil Rights Compliance.

What if I am a minor (under the age of 18)?

All university officials that suspect abuse of a minor will need to report suspected abuse, including identifying information, to the Department of Human Resources or law enforcement. The easiest call is to UOPD.

More specifically, employees are required to report: 

  • Names and addresses of the child and parent;
  • Child’s age;
  • Type and extent of abuse;
  • The explanation given for the abuse; and
  • Any other information that will help establish the cause of abuse or identify the abuser.

For more information about Mandatory Child Abuse reporting in Oregon, visit the Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse and Neglect page on the Human Resources website.

Can I talk to someone to better understand my options before making a report?

There are confidential resources on and off campus that can help you understand your options. You can find more information about confidential resources on the What is a Confidential Resource page.

If you or someone you know has experienced gender discrimination, sexual harassment, including dating or domestic violence and stalking, or sexual violence, call 541-346-SAFE to speak with a confidential advocate. Information is also available at https://safe.uoregon.edu/know-your-options.

Can I file a complaint outside of the University?

The Office for Civil Rights at the Department of Education has the authority to investigate complaints claiming the university discriminated on the basis of sex or gender.

Filing a complaint outside of the university limits the ability of the Office of the Title IX Coordinator, Care and Advocacy Program, and other campus entities to provide support and resources to the affected individuals.

Office of Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Education, Western Region